Turning 28 at a Swiss castle

It worked out splendidly that my family was here for my birthday. The day after our French wedding open house, we had a little more time to explore Switzerland before flying to southern France that night.

In the spirit of going somewhere I'd never been before, I chose the Château de Chillon as our destination for the day. It's a medieval castle on Lake Geneva- what better way to spend a birthday?


Former home of the Counts of Savoy
We spent hours walking up and down stairs through a maze of rooms, towers, and ramparts. We found out just how much of a maze it was when the husbands (minus dad) wandered off and we couldn't find them for 30 minutes. #wifeprobs








And the views were okay, I guess.







Even the prison had a nice view.



For lunch we found a fondue restaurant nearby. I loved the fondue, but David being as anti-cheese as he is chose to eat horse meat instead. Yes, David consumed my little pony. And he joyfully sang "Bye bye little Sebastian" while doing it.

While everyone else was still finishing their food, I ran half a mile down the road to take this picture. I think it was worth it.



*The first 28 year old selfie*
We didn't have time to explore the neighboring town of Montreux, but it looked really nice! It's on the wish list for the next time I'm in Switzerland. I don't know when that will be, but I have a feeling it will happen someday.


From the car window driving back
We stopped back by David's aunt and uncle's house to say goodbye to the family. Before heading to the airport I got to open my presents and was very spoiled. My mom is big into the birthday thing :)

I felt like being in Europe with my family was a pretty good present already, but that was the cherry on top!

We followed David's Uncle Xavier through the back roads to the Geneva airport. He spent most of his life in Switzerland and is a Swiss expert. One of our favorite moments of the weekend was when we pulled up to a gas station with a crazy, long, and disorganized line. 

Within 30 seconds he had jumped out of his car and with a series of hand signals and directions made the line disappear and waved us over to a now-free gas pump. I have no idea how he did that and got everyone to listen to him in less than a minute haha

After an hour flight, we were back "home" in France! The next day, it was time to show my family around where we live.

I have to say this was a pretty great birthday. First time in my life that I've spent a birthday traveling AND with my family! A winning combination.

P.S. Before I finish writing about this part of the trip, I want to give a shout-out to Marcelle and Xavier's beautiful backyard! They have a view of Mont Blanc. And cows. We were literally woken up by cowbells!



P.P.S. If you're into Paris, you might like to see some pictures of my stroll through Paris last month.

Comments

Popular Posts