Etzli

The rough Hebrew translation of Etzli is 'at my house'. I thought to do this because I did something similar about my Strasbourg apartment. It's fun to compare and contrast.

I've been here for 3 weeks now, and I'm finally pretty much settled in. I can now call the lovely city of Haifa 'home'.


This was the view from where we had a training meeting on volunteering with Holocaust survivors (more on that later!).

P.S. That is the first picture of me in Israel with my knees showing (when I am not at the beach). Yay for freedom, fashion, and no more BYU Jerusalem rules haha.

Now you get a tour of campus and the dorms! Lucky you.

Here's the outside of my building.


When I first arrived at the dorms and saw my room it was pretty depressing. They're fairly old and crappy. There were stickers (mostly of Barbies and smiley faces) all over my walls. Even on the toilet, there was a huge Barbie sticker. I feel like even as a 6 year old I would have had better taste than that, but what can you do.

Thankfully, I brought some cute decorations from home (Hobby Lobby!). They conveniently cover up most of the sticker residue, holes, and other ugly things on the walls.




The only thing that's still KILLING me is that hideous curtain. I'm on the lookout for something better.

As you can see, I have my own room with a connected bathroom... which is nice!

Then there's a shared living room and kitchen area. Here's a picture of that, plus the courtyard- which reminds me of the ones at the BYU JC.


I have 4 roommates from 4 different continents. There's another American, a German, a South African, and an Israeli. I seem to have gotten pretty lucky with the roommates! Trust me, I've had some weird ones... so I know when people seem normal.

And now for some pictures of campus! This is the building where all of my classes are held:


It's pretty nice to step out on that balcony during breaks from class.

Here's the view leaving the dorms area and starting to walk to campus. The big tower in the distance is a campus building. It reminds me of the SWKT because they're both ugly. They were probably built in the same era.


Some more campus buildings-


And lastly, the area in front of the main building where you can hang out on the fake grass. 'Greg' is a little cafe.


So that's the University of Haifa! 

I never posted this on facebook, but if you enjoy reading about awkward moments read this.



Comments

Popular Posts